With over 39 years of legal experience, Mickey Kicklighter brings his unique perspective to represent clients in all types of cases. Mickey is a lawyer that knows the profession from both sides having worked in the public and private sector. He has tried well over a 1,000 cases in the courtroom including more than 75 jury trials; and negotiated resolutions for over 7,000 other cases. Mickey’s knowledge and experience are the backbone of Kicklighter Law.
Mickey began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney for the State of Georgia before being promoted to Chief Assistant District Attorney for the Atlantic Judicial Circuit Court (Liberty, Long, Tattnall, Evans, Bryan, and McIntosh Counties); his duties there were prosecuting felony criminal cases from simple drug possession to murder.
He transitioned into private practice focusing on Plaintiff’s personal injury work. Later, upon relocating from South Georgia to Atlanta he began representing clients through their insurance companies; this gave him the opportunity to garner additional knowledge and insight. While working on the defense side Mickey also worked as a risk management attorney for Cobb County defending government employees from civil claims of all sorts. He has also represented professional athletes in the NFL and NASCAR as an agent.
Mickey applies the skills and knowledge he attained from his previous positions to the practice of personal injury law and assisting with obtaining justice for injured victims.
- Mercer University, B.A. in Political Science, minor in English and Psychology (1979)
- Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University, J.D. (1982)
- Member, Military Legal Assistance Program, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, The National Trial Lawyers
- Founding, Current member, and Two-time Past President, Effingham County Bar Association
- Current Member, Bulloch County Bar Association
- Former Member, Uniform Superior Court Rules Committee, State Bar of Georgia
- Former Member, Judicial Qualifications Committee, State Bar of Georgia
- Former Special Master, State Bar of Georgia
- Former Counsel, Effingham County Industrial Development Authority
- Former Counsel, ALCOA Aluminum State of Georgia
- Former Risk Management Attorney, Cobb County Georgia
- State of Georgia
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Georgia
- Admitted to the Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Admitted to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
Professional Awards and Accolades
- Voted Best Attorney in Effingham County 2016, 2019, 2020 &2021
- Voted Best Law Firm in Effingham County 2020
- Voted Best of the Best Coastal Empire Winner – Family Law Attorney 2019
- Member, Compassion Christian Church – Effingham Campus
- Former President, Springfield Lions Club
- Former Vice Chairman, Effingham County CASA Board
- Former Vice Chairman, The Effingham County Family Connection
- Founding Member, Leaders Improving the Future of Effingham Committee (LIFE)
- Charter Member, Statesboro Sunshine Rotary Club
- Founding Member and Past President, Springfield Revitalization Committee
- 2019 Best of the Best Coastal Empire Winner – Family Law Attorney
B.J. Fussell graduated magna cum laude from Mercer Law School in May of 2020 and joined the Kicklighter Law, P.C. team in June of 2020. He has experience working in several different areas of practice, including Criminal Law, Domestic, Personal Injury, Construction, and Property law.
B.J. works in all the firm’s practice areas including construction, personal injury, criminal defense, and family law.
Prior to joining the Kicklighter Law, P.C. team, B.J. worked for private firms in Houston County and Lowndes County. Two of B.J.’s articles were published in the Mercer Law Review during his time as a law student. B.J. received the highest grade in the following classes in law school: Contracts I, Juris & Judgements, Statutory Law, Torts II, Law of Lawyering.
Two of B.J.’s articles were published in the Mercer Law Review during his time as a law student. B.J. received the highest grade in the following classes in law school: Contracts I, Juris & Judgements, Statutory Law, Torts II, Law of Lawyering.
B.J. was born and raised in Coffee County, Georgia by his mother Michelle and his father Brian Sr., a nurse and farmer respectively, and to whom he credits a lot of his achievements. In his spare time B.J. enjoys fishing, hunting, golf, and watching his favorite sports teams the Georgia Bulldogs and Atlanta Braves, though they have broken his heart on multiple occasions.
Mandy is the law firm’s Chief of Staff and paralegal. She oversees the day-to-day operations and works with individuals facing family law related issues such as adoptions, divorce, custody, child support, and contempt actions.
Lisa is an Advanced Certified Paralegal who joined the firm in 2021 bringing with her years of experience and knowledge assisting with Plaintiff’s personal injury and construction litigation matters.
Colleen Eddy joined Kicklighter Law in 2019 as a legal assistant and receptionist, handling personal injury and construction defect matters. She is now assisting with family law and estate matters.
As Mickey’s wife, Kim has been providing support to the firm since its inception. Kim transitioned into the bookkeeping role in 2012. Today, she oversees the financial operations of the firm and its facilities as well as provides support to the attorneys and staff whenever necessary.