If you suffered an injury in a car accident, the moments immediately following the crash can be very stressful and chaotic. This is particularly true if your injuries require immediate medical care at the nearest hospital. However, while it is essential to understand the steps to take at the accident scene, it is also extremely important that you know what to do – and what not to do – once you arrive at the hospital.
The costs associated with a serious car accident injury can accumulate quickly. If the other motorist involved in the accident was negligent, you may be eligible for financial compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
It is important that you take the following steps following a car accident:
- Call 911 to report the accident and request an ambulance.
- Exchange information with the other driver, but do not say anything that could be interpreted as admitting fault.
- Collect evidence, including pictures of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, skid marks on the road, and the location of the accident.
- Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries.
- Notify your insurance company that you were injured in a car accident.
Whether you are transported to the emergency room in an ambulance or you were able to get to the hospital on your own, there are several steps you can take to protect yourself. Some steps you can take include:
- Do contact an experienced car accident lawyer. It is important to have a dedicated car accident lawyer who will protect your legal rights, negotiate with the insurance company, and pursue the maximum financial compensation you deserve.
- Do not give the hospital your auto insurance information. If the hospital administrator asks for your auto insurance information, tell them you would prefer to go through your health insurance.
- Do not give the hospital a copy of the police report. The police report will have your auto insurance information, so the hospital may try to use this to try to collect directly from your auto insurance rather than your health insurance. Ultimately, this may leave you with less money to collect upon settling your case.
Savannah Car Accident Lawyers at Kicklighter Law Protect the Legal Rights of Car Accident Victims
If you were injured in a car accident, do not hesitate to contact our Savannah car accident lawyers at Kicklighter Law. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 912-754-6003 or contact us online. Located in Springfield, Georgia, we serve clients throughout Effingham County, Savannah, and the surrounding areas.