Brunswick Criminal Defense Lawyers
Georgia has some of the strictest laws and penalties in the country. Depending on the severity of criminal charges, penalties range from steep fines, driver’s license loss, or lengthy prison sentences.
If you are charged with a crime, seeking experienced legal representation is vital. Kicklighter Law has served Brunswick residents for decades on both the defense and offense sides of the law.
What Types of Criminal Law Cases Does Kicklighter Law Handle in Brunswick?
We handle various criminal law cases at Kicklighter Law, including but not limited to the following.
Individuals who commit an assault on another with the intent to murder, rape, or rob are guilty of aggravated assault, a serious crime in Georgia. Those most aggravated assaults result in serious injuries or fatalities, even if the victim does not suffer injuries.
Behavior that disturbs or disrupts others nearby is considered disorderly conduct, which carries fines and a potential prison sentence. Disorderly conduct includes:
- Disorderly conduct during a DUI arrest
- Disturbing an assembly
- Police encounters
- Public misconduct
Driving Under the Influence
Georgia enforces harsh penalties for motorists charged with driving under the influence (DUI), which may include steep fines, license suspension, probation, and possible jail time. First-time offenders may face fines, community service, and a jail sentence. Repeat offenders face increasingly severe penalties with each repeated offense.
Georgia is one of the strictest states regarding illegal drug possession and distribution:
- Use: Use of illegal drugs, such as cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamines, is considered a crime, as well as possession of prescription medication without a prescription.
- Possession: Georgia identifies two types of possession:
- Actual possession: The individual is in possession of the drug.
- Constructive possession: The drug is in close proximity to the individual to be considered in their possession.
- Manufacturing: This crime encompasses the growing, cooking, or packaging of illegal drugs for resale.
- Possession with the intent to distribute: A serious charge involving the smuggling, delivering, and selling of illegal drugs, including possession of related materials, such as scales, packaging, and other items used to sell drugs.
- Trafficking: The transportation of a large amount of illegal drugs is considered trafficking and is one of the most serious drug-related offenses. The penalties are severe and may include up to three years to life imprisonment, depending on the type and quantity of the drug.
Our Brunswick criminal defense lawyers have a proven successful track record. If you have been charged with a crime, contact our team today to learn how we can help.
What Are Possible Penalties for Criminal Offenses in Brunswick?
Penalties in Georgia vary based on the crime and circumstances. More violent crimes, such as aggravated assault, murder, or rape, carry more severe penalties than non-violent crimes, such as burglary, cybercrimes, or forgery. Depending on the severity of the crime, penalties can include:
- Community service hours
- Fines up to several thousand dollars
- Jail or prison sentences from 24 hours to life
- License suspension
How Can Kicklighter Law Help Me?
Legal defense strategies vary, depending on the nature of the crime. Some examples of effective defense strategies include but are not limited to:
- Aggravated assault: Potential arguments against an aggravated assault charge may include self-defense, defense of others, challenging evidence, defense of property, or an established alibi.
- Disorderly conduct: Defense strategies may include self-defense, involuntary actions, reasonable doubt, or freedom of speech, depending on the circumstances.
- Drug crimes: Drug crimes can be multi-faceted, and we may prove the drugs were found during an illegal search, belonged to someone else, or police entrapment.
- DUI: In DUI cases, we often identify weaknesses, such as failure to follow procedure or meet the burden of proof and lack of probable cause, among others.
Our Brunswick criminal defense lawyers at Kicklighter Law can examine the details of your case and work with you to craft the most effective defense strategy. We can work tirelessly to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, establish reasonable doubt, and ensure that your legal rights are always protected.
Brunswick Criminal Defense Lawyers at Kicklighter Law Advocate for Clients Facing Serious Criminal Charges
If you have been charged with a crime, reach out to our Brunswick criminal defense lawyers at Kicklighter Law today. We can review your case and protect your rights. Call us today at 912-754-6003 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Springfield, Georgia, we serve clients in Effingham County, Savannah, and the surrounding areas.